This recipe is of my own creation, invented after I tried a lemon brownie recipe that was making its way around the internet, and was disappointed. You'll find no sweetened condensed milk here - just pure lemony goodness! These are a favorite of my entire family.
1 cup butter (2 sticks) at room temperature
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
4 large eggs
2 teaspoons lemon zest
4 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice (you'll need three lemons)
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup confectioner's sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 baking pan with cooking spray.
2) In a large bowl, beat softened butter and sugar with a hand mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
3) Stir in lemon juice, zest, vanilla, and salt.
4) Add flour gradually, and beat with hand mixer until well-blended. Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth top with spatula.
5) Bake in preheated oven for approximately 25-30 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
6) Combine glaze ingredients and pour over brownies while still warm. Let cool completely before cutting.
A few helpful tips:
1) You will get more juice from a lemon if it's at room temperature. Roll it on the counter first, then cut lengthwise - not crosswise - for maximum juiciness.
2) Brownies are easiest to cut if you use a plastic knife.